Open Position - Systems Operator/Machine Operator
June 13, 2023
JOB TITLE: Systems Operator / Machine Operator
Reports to Systems Supervisor
This position is primarily responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Authority’s water and sewer system as well as operate all Authority equipment including but not limited to backhoe, jet trailer and dump truck. The employee will be working with water or wastewater system processes or portions thereof; may be gaining experience to obtain certification in appropriate sub-classifications within classifications of certification by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Complies with the applicable Federal and State laws, and rules and regulations associated with a water or wastewater system.
Obtains and maintains water and sewer certifications.
Reports any known violations or system conditions that may be or are causing violations of any department regulation or permit condition or requirements to the Systems Supervisor.
- Provides for the suitable operation and maintenance of a water or wastewater system utilizing available resources needed to comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations and permit conditions or requirements.
- Reports to the Systems Supervisor any action necessary to prevent or eliminate a violation of applicable water or wastewater system laws, rules and regulations and permit conditions and requirements.
Monitors well sites and reports data to Systems Supervisor.
Conducts supply, distribution and collection system checks.
Collects water samples as required by state, federal and local laws and regulations.
Ensures water and sewer systems are running correctly.
Records data and maintains repairs on a monthly basis.
Responds to water quality complaints and emergencies.
Reports operational issues to Systems Supervisor to determine proper resolution.
Performs carpenter, plumbing, construction and repair work to Authority owned properties.
Operates backhoe, dump truck, jack hammer and other equipment and tools.
Reports complaints and action taken to the Systems Supervisor.
Cleans and maintains upkeep of all trucks, tools and equipment assigned to department.
Reports items in need of repair to Systems Supervisor.
Responds promptly and appropriately to customer questions or complaints regarding problems related to the water and sewer systems.
Maintains and cleans hand tools and minor equipment such as pumps, tampers, alternators, etc. routinely used in the operation and maintenance of the system.
Responsible for the final clean-up on completion of a job or at the end of the day. All tools shall be accounted for and returned to their proper location. If required, he or she shall place barricades with operational warning flasher lights to ensure the work area is properly protected.
Maintains, services and cleans assigned vehicle at the end of each work day. Report conditions requiring repair to the Systems Supervisor.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others'
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or G.E.D.; or three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Valid driver license and acceptable motor vehicle record; CDL preferred
- Water System Operator Certification (or ability to obtain within 2 years of employment)
- Wastewater Operator Certification (or ability to obtain within 2 years of employment)
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must have a professional, outgoing, guest-service oriented manner.
- Ability to interact with a variety of people, and remain calm and professional in stressful situations.
- Friendly, courteous, service-oriented, and flexible and enjoy working with a variety of staff.
- Detail-oriented and work effectively under pressure while meeting all applicable deadlines.
- Able to work independently and productively with minimum supervision; work well under pressure; able to manage multiple projects.
- Able to work a flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays.
- A highly developed ability regarding the mechanical, electrical, electronic, and plumbing aspects of how machines and systems work. This knowledge and ability includes, but is not limited to, meters, hydraulics, pumps, cross-connection control, and common parts and supplies used in system maintenance, repair, and replacement.
- Working knowledge of system operation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. The employee may occasionally shovel snow, stone, etc of up to 100 pounds.
Employee must regularly drive and/or operate heavy equipment such as a backhoe, dump truck, pick-up truck, etc.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places and fumes or airborne particles.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please e-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org